Tuesday, July 8, 2014

My Spring 2014 Final Impressions

Notice: This post was previously published on July 1. However, due to my stupidity, it got deleted. But thankfully, I found a cached copy of it and managed to re-publish it. I hope this clears up any confusion you may have had. Now enjoy my post!

With spring 2014 drawing to a close, and the summer season right around the corner, it's time I do an impressions post. Yes, of all the shows I have watched for this season (not including the ones I've dropped and/or put on-hold [I may or may not talk about them in a future post]). I'll be quickly discussing the show for a little bit, and I may perhaps write a more in-depth review for it sometime in the future. Now, let's begin!

Captain Earth


Although only halfway completed, Captain Earth has proven to us how beautiful BONES can animate its shows and enchanting space can be. Sure this show can be really slow at times, but I like its slow pace because I believe it's introducing everything and most of the characters for its first half before focusing more on the story and action in the second half. After all, it's going to be 25 episodes long, so it's only natural it's a little slow in the beginning. It just shows that the creators are taking their time setting everything up before going full-blown in the second half.

However, if the show is like this for the rest of the series, then I'll have to say I'm disappointed. But for now, I'm fine with the slow pace, as the writers are developing the main characters and introducing side characters (mainly villains). And I have a feeling that some of the "villains" will soon be on our heroes' side. For now, I can only wait and hope that this show will become what I think it can.

Rating: 3.5/5 or 7/10

Chaika – The Coffin Princess


Compared to the other shows I have watched/am watching this season, Chaika is one of two shows that is set in a fantasy setting (the other being The World is Still Beautiful). And as such, world-building is essential for its overall score. Chaika, while it's world-building isn't as well-done as Still Beautiful, has a great cast of characters and entertaining action. As it's rated R, Chaika has blood and gore, and it'll come as a big surprise for the unsuspecting viewer (example: me). For instance, in the very first episode you see a unicorn (not the beautiful kind you're used to, folks) get killed by the two leads. And yes, there was a lot of blood involved, which absolutely caught me off-guard.

If this series was to have only one season, then I'd say Chaika was disappointing. However, since season two is coming in the fall and with the way the show ended, then I recommend Chaika for its engaging story and characters, along with its animation, which is, while simple, effective.

Rating: 4/5 or 7/10

Haikyuu!!


A show that has the energy of Kuroko's Basketball and the fun of Free! Iwatobi Swim Club, Haikyuu!! provides solid entertainment and amazing characters. I'm amazed at how Haikyuu!! can make its characters, both main and supporting, so three-dimensional and realistic, yet at the same time move the plot forward at a pace not too slow nor too fast. I'll tell you now, it takes real talent to be able to do both things at the same time. Not only that, but Haikyuu!! has very solid animation: it's very smooth and crisp throughout, and I haven't noticed any scenes where the animation isn't up to par. As such, if Haikyuu!!'s second half is just as good as its first, I'll be one very pleased fan.

Rating: 4/5 or 8/10

Kamigami no Asobi


A reverse-harem with gods? Sign me up! Kamigami has a unique concept: a normal high school girl is transported to an alternate world where she has to teach Greek, Japanese, and Norse gods about humans or else she won't be able to "graduate" and return to her own world. Although different from the norm, many people expected Kamigami to be like Diabolik Lovers and Amnesia (shows renowned for having awful characters and crappy stories). The first episode seemed like a joke to most people, what with the magical boy transformation at the beginning and flowers blooming every time a guy was introduced.

However, the show was quick to prove viewers wrong with its surprisingly complex characters and interesting storylines. And gradually, the plot began to shift toward darker territory, with having a more grim atmosphere and serious moments. What I like and appreciate about Kamigami is that the guys' lives don't revolve around the heroine and that they actually have quirks and personalities, similar to Uta-Pri. So I ask you, like Free! Iwatobi Swim Club, to not judge this show based on its first episode and continue watching, because it gets better—trust me.

Rating: 4/5 or 7/10

One Week Friends.


Hm . . . A romance show about a girl's memories of the past week be gone on every Monday? Prepare for the feeeeels, people! Okay, okay, just kidding everyone. While many claim One Week Friends. will make you feel them "feels," it often seems like it's trying too hard to make the viewer feel all teary-eyed and emotional, when really it isn't necessary. I do feel the weight of the memory loss thing, but you don't need to shove it down my throat, all right? Regardless, what I really admire and adore about this show is its art style: it's simple, it's cute, and perfect for this kind of show.

The characters are also very well-done. The two main characters are very likable (the main girl being innocent and adorable, and the boy being quirky and cute), and the rest of the cast are just as likable, maybe even more so. What I love about this show is the relations between characters. All of the characters connect to each other in some way, and that's what makes them all the more three-dimensional.

However, there is one more negative to this show. Another thing that bothers me about One Week Friends. was its ending, which was pretty . . . "meh." I mean, maybe it's just right for some people, but for people like me I think it could've been better and more satisfying. For one, the romance isn't really satisfying. Without spoiling too much, it feels like we go back to square one again. The characters deal with the events that occurred throughout the show as if it never happened, which feels like a punch to the gut. If you want a show that has heart-warming moments, One Week Friends. is for you. However, be aware that it might leave you unsatisfied in the end.

Rating: 3.5/5 or 6/10

The World is Still Beautiful


A show that came as a surprise to me, The World is Still Beautiful is a wonderful addition to the shoujo genre. Set in an alternate fantasy world, Still Beautiful has politics, romance, comedy, and a taste of action. Alongside it is fluid animation and a wonderful opening and ending song. Still Beautiful is unique, not because of the height difference between the main male and female character, but due to its charming atmosphere. There's something about this show that feels so charming it draws you in, and you find that half an hour goes by in a flash. Maybe it's because of its likable cast of characters, good pacing, or unique setting, but Still Beautiful has something that most shoujo anime don't: balance.

It knows when to show a romantic moment between the two leads, crank open the drama, have a comedic moment, or bring out the action while bringing along the story and developing the characters. There's a little bit of everything for everyone to enjoy in this show, and I'm pretty certain it won't leave you disappointed.

Yet, despite its positives, Still Beautiful leaves a lot to be desired. I feel that, if the show was longer, the writers could've gone deeper and darker, flesh out the characters more, pace the romance better, and expand the world. But for what you get, Still Beautiful is truly a beautiful show that's very much worth your time.

Rating: 3.5/5 or 7/10


And now, I bid you all farewell for the moment. I hope you all enjoyed reading this post and that it caused you to rethink about the shows from this season. But most of all, I hope it makes you look forward to the summer season more than ever before. And with that, take care, otakus!

No comments:

Post a Comment