Monday, October 13, 2014

Episode Reaction: Bonjour♪ Koiaji Pâtisserie (恋味パティスリー) Episode 1 – WHY IS IT SO SHORT???

It really breaks my heart when I learn that a two-cour series I was hoping to be twenty-something minutes long per episode is actually five minutes. Sigh. Stop breaking my heart, fall anime. But whatever. To my pleasant surprise, Bonjour♪ Koiaji Pâtisserie is effective in setting everything up in episode one. We got our important characters introduced and just what kind of challenges our heroine may face.

Our episode begins with a girl named Sayuri (finally a character's name I can remember without looking it up!), who's arrived to a baking academy to learn how to become a pâtissière, just like her parents. At this school, she has befriended a girl named Ran (whose name I can remember due to Super GALS!, *cough, cough*) and her first day of school is beginning when the three bitches of the school overhear her conversation on how she's there on a scholarship.
Yeah, I bet. When you have a school that looks like a freaking palace, tuition rates must be high.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! Um, excuse me, but . . . she completely deserves the scholarship because her skills were goodin that, I mean better than yours. The best come up on top: if your skills aren't better, then sorry, you'll have to try harder and get better. So instead of whining about not being good enough, become good . . . bitch.

So anyway, a redhead (and one of the love interests) appears and yells at them to stop arguing and blocking the way. Then, the McGonagall of the school overhears their arguing and shoos them off to hurry to the entrance ceremony. When they leave, she asks Sayuri if it was a mistake to give her a scholarship. On this note, she leaves. Ran explains that that woman is a first-class pâtissière, so you bet your ass she's a stern woman. She kicks out students who she thinks don't have competent skills—and apparently there are countless of them. With this in mind, Sayuri heads to the auditorium where we are introduced to the three other love interests. While she sees they are handsome, Sayuri thinks to herself she has no time for romance as she desires to graduate and become a full-fledged pâtissière.
"...and become one of four guys's girlfriend!"
Despite its short episode length, I really enjoyed this episode. While we have common shoujo tropes in here *cough, cough*bullies*cough, cough* I thought it was an enjoyable watch. Sayuri herself is a likable heroine. While not being very developed, I already admire her determination. She reminds me of Haruka from Uta-Pri in that respect. I hope her personality gets more fleshed out throughout the next twenty-three episodes.

We've only been briefly introduced to our four love interests, but I'm already loving their designs. Three of them are instructors and the redhead is a student. (I believe . . .? I don't know, it's never clearly clarified.) We barely know any of them but they seem to already fall into certain archetypesnice guy, hothead, shota, and hard-asshowever, I'm expecting them to develop their own unique personalities soon.
I'm not kidding, I thought of Seijuro and Momo from Free! for a second there.
Pretty hot for a teacher, not gonna lie.
He's pretty fluent in Japanese for a Frenchie who's never been to Japan before.
We will now present our hard-ass traditionalist!
Oh, speaking of . . . Ran tells Sayuri that a romantic relationship between an instructor (see: those guys above) and a student (see: main heroine) is absolutely forbidden. Sayuri assures herself, however, she won't be getting herself into a romance because she wants to become a pâtissière. . . . We'll see about that. ( ¬‿¬)

The art style is definitely a strong suit for this anime. In fact, the character designer of Uta-Pri was the one who was put in charge of the animation, so the colors all harmonize very well together. There is another show, however, about pastry making, and that show is called Yumeiro Pâtissière. I know, I know, it's unfair to compare both these anime to each other, but I can't help it. The premises are very similar. All I can think about is how delicious those sweets in Yumeiro looked, and I'm really hoping the sweets here will match those. *crosses fingers*
Oh, sweet Mama. Come to me. *purses lips*
I am sad to report that there's no opening or ending song. :c I mean, come on! Even The Circumstances in My Home's Bathtub had an opening and (kinda) ending song. Why can't this? Granted, we're only on the first episode, so the next might have one . . . maybe . . . hopefully . . . I don't know. :(

Otherwise, this was a pleasant watch and I look forward to seeing more of it. And with that, take care, otakus!

No comments:

Post a Comment